More Work In The Bathroom – My Old House Home Improvement

Work continues in the new bathroom. This time, the old sliding door is removed and the opening is framed in for the new window.
I also discover something unexpected about the exterior of the house:

To get started, I removed all of the old drywall around the sliding door. Beneath that, the wall is sheathed with tongue and groove pine boards. While this was more common for houses that are a bit older than this one, I was not surprised to see it here.
The boards need to be removed so that I can build out the studs to 5-1/2″ deep in order to get enough insulation in. Also, I was not convinced there was any insulation in the walls at all.
The reciprocating saw is used to cut the boards flush to the
wall:


I can then pull them off and remove the nails. I’ll be doing this throughout the house and saving as much of this board as I can. It will be used for upcoming projects, including furniture for this house.

As it turns out, there is some insulation there:

Of course, it is not up to modern standards. These early fiberglass insulations were not as well made as they are now, with varying density throughout, and a fairly low “R” value. Also, the installation may not have been done carefully, since heating costs at that time were a lot less expensive than they are now.

The outside face paper has what appears to be some insect damage, or is just may be normal deterioration:


A major disappointment when I found that the exterior walls were sheathed with what is known as ten-test – basically a cardboard type product that was widely used around that time. Normally, the product holds up fairly well, but in this case it has deteriorated to the point of falling apart in the wall cavities. The ten-test has an outer foil that was probably acting as a second vapour barrier, and this may have precipitated the deterioration.
I was expecting another layer of tongue and groove board, with the wood siding installed over that, so this is a bit of a setback. I will have to remove all of this material and resheath the walls before I can do any exterior siding. Luckily, the house is not large, and the additional cost will be reasonable. The time to do this extra work and disposal of the old material will be significant, though.

Moving on, I remove the sliding doors and cut the frame apart:


The doors and frame are not good quality, have poor weatherstripping and broken seals, and are not worth saving.

As expected, there were some unwanted residents homesteading beside the frame. Luckily, it was early on a cool morning and they were a little sleepy, so I did not get stung:


The new opening is framed with 2×6 and has an opening for a 30″ x 36″ window.

From the outside:


To sheath the opening, I’m using 1/2″ OSB.

Nailing it on with 2″ nails:


I had to leave it like that until I got the window.

Cutting out for the new window:


I bought a stock unit locally – a single hung vinyl with a nailing flange. This type of window will be used in the rest of the house, as it is has a more traditional look for a house this age, but doesn’t have the maintenance issues of a solid wood window.

From the inside:

These windows are lower cost, but energy efficient, with excellent weatherstripping to stop leaks and drafts.

Next time I’m back down in the basement where I get the laundry room built, and install a new dryer vent.