Rebuilding The Front Half Of The Roof – My Old House Home Improvement

January 31, 2015

With the back of the roof finished, I could get to work on the front half. As I mentioned in the previous chapter, this will be done differently, since it is much better supported structurally and in better shape overall.
I made a video that quickly goes through the details:

The first task was to knock down the old chimney:

Since the oil furnace has been removed, it is no longer needed.

It wasn’t difficult and not surprisingly, not actually attached to the house:

The north wall with the chimney leveled and the old vinyl siding pulled off. Looks terrible, I know, but the wood siding is in really good shape.

Unlike the back half, the first step on this side was to extend the eaves. I stripped off the old fascia and soffit to expose the joist ends:

Then fastened 2×4 extensions to build it out to the correct distance. This was tricky to do because there wasn’t a lot to nail the rafter extensions to, just the ceiling joist.

The original roof was framed in a way I’ve never seen, in that they put two courses of board onto the ends of the ceiling joist, then put the rafters on top of that. Normally, the rafters are cut with a birds mouth and are fastened to the top plate of the wall.
I do like this method, as it provides a lot more space to put insulation in the attic, but it did make it difficult to
extend the rafters:

The top edge of the extensions need to line up with the surface of the roof deck:

The roof section above the porch cantilevers past the outside wall, and technically it does not have enough support. The post in the corner was just put in as decoration and was not actually holding anything up.

The solution was to build a beam to carry the load with two posts down to the deck. The end of the beam was let in at the corner of the front wall and rests on two corner studs:

The beam is double 2×10 with plywood sandwiched between. The outside is clad with OSB that ties it into the front wall.

Like the back, the sub-fascia is 5/4×6 pressure treated deck board:

It’s easy to see how much extra coverage the overhang has now. Wider overhangs give a lot more protection from the elements and I think they look better.

Next, the rake is framed on the south side. The old fascia and soffit are stripped off:

Similar to how it was done on the back.

Then covered with more deck board sub-fascia:

Standing back to have a look after finishing the work on the overhangs:

Then the next day, it’s back up to strip off the old shingles.

As I said in the last chapter, the roof is in much better shape on this side, but still has its fair share of broken boards:

I nearly went through that one.

Around noon I had it all stripped, with just the old ice and water shield left at the lower edge:

To get the sheets of OSB up to the roof, I set up two long 2×4’s with nails driven in part of the way to hold the sheet. I could then get up and pull it up the rest of the way.

Fully covered:

The OSB was fastened by driving 3-1/4″ nails through it and the boards below, and into the rafters. This gives me a solid roof deck to put the new shingles on.

The next day, I shingled that side completely and did the ridge cap the following day. I have to say that I’m glad that job is behind me.

With the roof finished, I can start work on the outside walls, starting at the back. That will be the subject of the next chapter.

Support me on patreon