Making A Deck Broom From Pieces Of Rope General Woodworking

It’s funny how one thing leads into another. I made a video testing how well the edge on my shovel knife will stand up, and the material that was cut for the test was rope. One of the first comments I got was a suggestion to use the pieces to make a broom. The ones I cut in that test were a bit too short, so I thought I’d do it again, but this time I would use my prybar knife.
Of course, I’ve had a number of comments from people saying that the hardness of the spring steel the knife is made from was ruined when I did the shaping with a grinder. I knew that wasn’t the case, so I figured another demonstration was in order.

The knife was sharpened only once, and only with my homemade carbide sharpener. I just continued cutting the rope where I left off the last time, making the pieces 3″ long. I wound up with 44 pieces from 45 cuts before I ran out of rope. A few of the cuts toward the end were hammered through the rope, since my hand was starting to cramp, but I couldn’t take a break. I wanted the filming to be unbroken.
In the end, the knife was still sharp enough to continue cutting rope without much of a problem:

cutting the rope into pieces

The next step was to melt the ends on each one, so that the strands will not come out after the broom has been used for a while:

melting the ends of the rope
all of the rope pieces ready to glue in

This operation made an interesting smell in the shop!

I figured four rows of eleven to make the broom head and use all of the pieces. A simple depth stop made from a block of wood for drilling the 3/4″ holes, 1-1/4″ deep:

wooden block depth stop for the drill bit
all of the holes drilled

I used polyurethane construction adhesive to fasten the “bristles” in:

the rope glued in

The handle is just a piece of deck board with the edges rounded over and glued into a 1″ hole in the head. A 2″ wood screw secures it in place:

branded on the end
the finished push broom

Just the right angle and length for the handle, it’s very comfortable to use. It will take a while to break it in, but the rope bristles appear to be the right stiffness for this.

I made a video showing the build from start to finishing sweep: